Sezincote House and gardens



I had a rather restless night worrying about how the bookcase would fit into the van and whether the additional weight would be a problem. Before we left the site I emptied the water and waste tanks and moved any heavy items as far forward as possible.

 We have never been to Sezincote although it is just opposite Batsford Arboretum, so I booked a garden and house tour, £30 for two. The 1st May is the opening day of the 2025 season.  The house is unusual in its Indian inspiration The supurb landscaped garden is multi-level with streams and ponds and unusual mature trees. The house tour is rather boring with only 4 rooms on limited public display. Although Indian on the outside with connections to the Brighton Pavillion, it is a collection of random periods and sources on the inside, collected by the existing family. It is used for the occasional wedding but otherwise is still a family home. We had coffee in the  Orangery which is the only part licenced for weddings. There was an Ambasador Classic car in front of the house with a fancy Indian interior which is apparently used as a wedding car. 

After the tour we walked back up the killer hill to the car park in the heat of the day (record for 1st May) and on to Stow to pick up the bookcase. It was much heavier than I expected and would only fit on the floor between the beds so the weight was rather too far back behind the rear wheels for comfort.

We had a sausage and bacon bap for late lunch at Lucys tea room opposite while I braced myself for the journey home.  I had a very careful and anxious drive but we arrived back safely just before 5:30.  


Popular posts from this blog

Home again

Basque Epiblog

Bilbao and Guggenheim